1. Great news from the wildlife rescuer. The squirrel is alive and eating well! I don’t want to be presumptuous, but it sounds like we may have saved her, just in time.
2. I successfully drove to two different city locations today (with the help of GPS). Now, those of you who live in places like Chicago or Philadelphia will laugh at my nervousness of driving into “the city” of Lancaster. But it was unfamiliar territory and I made it there and back.
3. Books, which are serious motivation to drive anywhere. Yes, I went to another used book sale. And sure, we had to drive around the block a dozen times to find a good parking spot.
But it was worth it, most of all for that $4 Joy of Cooking cookbook. We’ve been hunting for a used copy of that thing for years. I feel like I found a treasure. (And seriously what self-respecting, Christ-following, book-reading household doesn’t have its own copy of The Lord of the Rings books? I found one. I’ll be on the hunt for the others.)
4. Hanging with this kid all day.
He was so pleased with his book finds at the book sale, though at one point, he was lying on the floor whining loudly about how badly he needed a drink. (And the Academy Award for Best Dramatic Performance by a 3-year-old goes to …)
Also, it’s fun finding time with both kids when the girl gets home from school.
Please understand, this was a rare moment of peace and cooperation. Usually they’re at each other’s throats after school and I’m yelling at them from the kitchen where I’m trying to throw something together for dinner.
5. The yippy dogs that live next door are named “Tony” and “Neil.” For some reason, this makes me smile, even when I hear their names shouted half a dozen times a day or more.