It’s Friday night and I’m home alone. Well, as “alone” as a person can be with two kids in the house. An hour ago I was hardly able to keep my eyes open while putting the kids in bed. The kids were overtired, resisting sleep, and I still had a batch of Rice Krispie treats to make ahead of an all-day marriage retreat/seminar on Saturday.
Honestly, I wasn’t sure I had it in me to write a post about what made me smile this week. Reviewing the list I’ve been compiling all week is already lifting my spirits.
Here are the things I’m smiling about this week.
- Despicable Me. I laughed out loud. A lot.
- A 6-year-old telling me she was soo stressed because of school.
- Isabelle telling me, after she received a notebook from the potty prize box, “I could stay up all night writing.” Oh, do I know the feeling.
- My husband reaching for my hand during singing in church.
- Pretty much everything that comes out of Corban’s mouth right now. “Bye, kids” at the Y Kids Korner. “I like puddles” on a rainy day. “I’m just lookin’, Mommy” as he touches everything on the grocery store shelves.
- Receiving two copies of the One Year Joy and Laughter Devotional in the mail and seeing my name on two of the entries.
- Playing “ting-tong” (ping pong) with my kids at the seminary while visiting my husband on his lunch break between classes.
- Making up after a fight.
- Sandwich King Jeff Mauro. My new favorite Food Network show. Not only does he make sandwiches that sound DELICIOUS, he’s from Chicago and takes viewers on a weekly food tour of the city. I want to download the recipe for everything I’ve seen on the show so far.
- Making other people smile when I wear my “Super Mom. Super Wife. Super Tired” shirt. This week, it could have been my uniform.
- VeggieTales humor.
- My kids’ imaginations. And their giggles.
- Day trips with friends.
- Being outside.
- Co-op parenting.
- Meeting new neighborhood kids.
- Watching my kids play with their friends.
- Fall weather. And jeans and sweatshirts.
What’s got you smiling this week?